The James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home will celebrate a hundred years of being open to the public, 1924-2022, on October 8, 2022, from 10 am to 5 pm. The block party will feature:
- A live stage with varied music and poetry performances throughout the day on the lawn of the Museum Home.
- Arts and Antique vendors on Lockerbie St. as well as a garage sale in the surrounding neighborhood.
- Original works of art of the Home and neighborhood by Indiana Heritage Artists.
- Food trucks and other food vendors located on Park Ave.
- A statewide poetry competition, with winner getting the opportunity to perform on stage.
- Live music in the historic home.
- Silent auction and other fundraising activities
- Street Closures - Lockerbie St. will be close from the Museum Home’s gravel lot through Park Ave. Park Ave will close from Vermont Place through Lockerbie St.
How can I get involved?
Silent Auction Donations: Donations of goods, gift cards, or experiences for a silent auction that will occur online the week of the event, culminating on October 8th. All donors will be recognized and thanked on our social media feeds before and after the event, and on-site that day! This is a great way to reach the communities immediately surrounding the Home and Lockerbie Square. Please contact Lauren Smoot at firstname.lastname@example.org with any donations or questions.
Sponsorship Opportunities: Businesses or groups interested in partnering with the Museum Home or making a donation for the block party will receive recognition on our signage and social media feeds. There are also several naming and other specific sponsorship opportunities including: the performance stage, tent, and poetry competition among others. Those interested in partnering with Museum Home, please contact our Events Manager, Lauren Smoot, at email@example.com or the Director, Chris Mize, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers: We will be looking for about 30 volunteers to help coordinate the day of activities. Volunteers will work two-hour shifts throughout the day, starting at 9 am. For more information and to sign-up follow this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0C4CA4A62CA1F94-jwrmuseum
- Lockerbie Street Volunteers – Volunteers will work at the Museum Home’s tent on Lockerbie St., and help direct traffic, change trash bags, and help as needed on Lockerbie St. and Park Ave.
- Museum Home Volunteers – Volunteers stationed throughout the Home will provide historical information and help guide traffic walking through the Museum Home.
- Main Stage Volunteer – Volunteer will help manage the main-stage performances and coordinate the scheduled performers, direct traffic, and answer visitor questions.
- Visitor Center – Volunteers will manage the silent auction in the Visitor Center, and help visitors make bids and watch the donations.